The Goldsborough Page
The Goldsborough stable is named in honor of Charles Goldsborough born in 1764. The stable originally sat on the property once owned by William and Elizabeth Ennals on Shoal Creek. Elizabethís nephew, Charles Goldsborough, came to live with them at the age of four after the death of his parents. Upon the death of his aunt, he inherited the shoal creek property. Charles Goldsborough served in the Maryland State Senate US Congress and was Marylandís Governor from 1818 to 1819.
The stableís brickwork suggests its age and prominence. This type of brickwork was considered the most decorative of the various bonds and historically was used extensively for residences. This stable was built for a refined home. Most stables of this era are long gone especially on the Delmarva hence its rarity.
The stable was donated to the Society and moved in 1987 from Shoal Creek to LaGrange plantation. It traveled four blocks and took just around 4 hours for the trip. With the exception of 12 bricks, its journey was very smooth.
Inside the stable are many transportation
vehicles, used throughout the county and donated by various residents.
Among the artifacts are a sulky, pony cart, a buckboard, and horse driven
sleighs. There are also tools of the woodworker, wheelwright and
blacksmith along with various other items including saddles and harnesses.
Open Tuesday through Saturday 10AM to 4PM or open by appointment
Neild Museum | Meredith
House | Goldsborough Stable | Herb
Garden | Research Collection |Stronghouse|
Museum | Robbins Heritage Center
Map and Parking | Home]